San Diego, CA - Internationally focused nonprofit is seeking a Director of Philanthropy to sustain and grow philanthropic giving, oversee operations and staff, and provide leadership and guidance as a member of the senior management team.
This organization works to alleviate the suffering caused by poverty and disaster from the forgotten corners of the world to right here at home. In the last 30 years it has provided $6.5 million in volunteer services and $343 million in medicines and supplies to families in need in 68 countries worldwide.
Position: Director of Philanthropy
Type: Full-time, exempt
Reports To: Executive Director
Start Date: Q1 2018
The purpose of the Director of Philanthropy position is to sustain and grow philanthropic giving, oversee the philanthropy department operations and staff, and provide leadership and guidance as a member of the senior management team regarding all aspects of philanthropy activities in partnership with the Founder & Executive Director, Director of Operations & Program Development and the Board of Directors’. In pursuit of the organization’s mission, the Director of Philanthropy will bring vision and the strategic expertise necessary for oversight and execution of the organization’s strategic philanthropy plan. The position will have a special focus on individual major donors and donor prospects with gift capacity of $1,000+, launching a planned giving program, and cultivating a new generation of donors. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated track record leading a philanthropy department and securing major gifts.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, manage the philanthropy program to achieve stated goals, including annual giving campaign, major gifts, planned giving, and grants.
- Provide leadership and guidance to the senior management team and Board of Directors, assisting them in establishing and achieving goals, launching a development/philanthropy committee, setting regular meeting agendas and coordinating meetings with the committee chair, and providing staff support for annual events and activities.
- Engage and manage the philanthropy department staff (including a full-time Communications Manager and part-time Major Gifts Officer) in evaluating fundraising performance and future planning, including short-term and long-term strategies, goals and objectives to secure philanthropic support for the mission, annual operating budget and strategic goals.
- Manage and execute the organization’s three-year Strategic Philanthropy Plan and update every year to compliment the organization’s strategic goals.
- Update, manage and execute detailed Annual Philanthropy Plan with goal to increase the current level of giving by at least 10% annually.
- Secure funds by managing portfolio of 80-100 $1,000+ donors, assuring that as many as possible are retained as continuing donors to the organization and are upgraded in their giving and involvement.
- Place as a top priority meeting with donors face-to-face, and facilitating for the Executive Director, Board members and Ambassadors when appropriate, meet with donors face-to-face. Travel and schedule flexibility is required.
- Research prospective funding sources of support; prepare or oversee preparation of proposals/grants and manage and track the grants process to achieve annual support from foundations and businesses/corporations.
- Partner with the new Development/Philanthropy committee to plan and implement annual stewardship activities/events, including the annual gala, to engage a diverse, multi-generational audience.
- Partner with Executive Director to develop and nurture donor relationships, and to increase revenue from individuals, foundations and businesses/corporations.
- Partner with the Director of Operations & Program Development and Communications Manager to ensure that up-to-date materials on program impact are available for major donor presentations, including personalized proposal presentations and marketing materials.
- Maintain ultimate accountability for the accuracy and integrity of the donor information management system, Raisers Edge. Generate meaningful reports on philanthropy program progress, targets and potential strategies.
- In coordination with the Communications Manager, develop, implement and manage a comprehensive and robust Raisers Edge-based donor/donor prospect moves management system and procedures to optimize the database.
- Develop and implement gift policies and procedures. Monitor compliance with internal and external gift acceptance policies, procedures and recognition.
- Assume other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
- Passion for international relief.
- Impeccable relationship management, business management, and project management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent grant proposal writing and grant management skills.
- Excellent volunteer leadership and management skills.
- Strong team spirit and ethic to match organizational culture.
- Ability to thrive in a “small shop” environment.
- Willingness and capability to work at a level of detail appropriate to the current size of the organization as well as the capacity to grow.
- Capacity to serve as an ambassador of the organization within the San Diego community and International collaborative relief community.
- Strong competency in common office and fundraising software and social media platforms (such as MS Office including Word, Excel and PowerPoint; Raisers Edge; Facebook, Twitter, etc.).
- Ability to work evenings and weekends as required by meetings and special events.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Demonstrated commitment to continuing education in nonprofit fundraising and management; CFRE preferred.
- Minimum four (4) years’ experience leading comprehensive fund development/philanthropy department operations including: managing staff; building a donor-centric culture of philanthropy; optimizing fundraising databases; demonstrated track record implementing moves management best practices with individuals, foundations and businesses/corporations; annual campaigns; event planning and management; and volunteer engagement.
- Demonstrated success in grant writing and grant management.
Salary commensurate with experience, and eligibility for a bonus plan based on agreed upon milestones created in partnership with the Executive Director.
Excellent benefits package including medical allowance, 9 paid holidays per year plus one week between Christmas and New Year’s Day, and 401 (k) matching plan.
- Insert the job title in the subject line of your email with your resume.
- Tell us why you would be a good fit
About Premierehire Executive Search:
Premierehire is the recruiting arm for an exclusive base of extraordinary companies in San Diego County helping them find and engage top talent for full time career opportunities. We work closely with you to ensure the opportunity is a good fit and to provide you with the tools and preparation for a great new hire experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.